Thursday, October 15, 2009

What's in the name ?


People say that I contradict myself often thus I have taken the onus of writing on few contradictions of life. Something spurred my thought process today. Like every college, we too have couples (including section 377). Two people who are in a relationship either before or after coming to college. The story goes like this -The girl broke her leg, and the guy is busy driving her around in the wheelchair. He is always there beside her, whether she needs him or not. I am kind of jealous and thought who would take care of me if the same thing happened to me. Let’s leave that question for a while …

Then another scene is when another random guy playing a badminton match and his girl is right there not only cheering all through the match but also waiting for him in the breaks , giving him water , energy drinks . Who would lose with that kind of support?

Then there is my female friend, who is just the most caring person I have ever met. Never leaves me alone in the party, wakes me up for the class, cheers me up when I am low and is always there when I perform on stage.

Now to justify the title, what is the difference between a boyfriend, a girlfriend, a friend, intimate friend, close friend, best friend and above all just a friend?

I believe two things that make a relationship worthwhile – time that you spend together and “being there” for that person. It’s not love that matters, its happiness that does.

It doesn’t matter what we do inside the four walls of the room with our boyfriends and girlfriends, but how we behave outside the room that matters. Small things like eating together , waiting outside the hostel block , waking up each other to attend the morning class , hugging each other when one wins a game , recording their on stage performance to give importance to their achievements , making sure that you compliment her when she looks good etc.

Every non-glamorous, non-romantic thing that we do together, adds to the strength of our relationship. Jennifer Aniston rightly said that a guy really loves you if he follows you to the mall and see you buying toilet paper, something as menial as that .Somehow for me that defines the substance of the relationship, true measure of how will we behave in our day to day life .It’s about finding love in doing things that are not romantic, that are daily ware, unimportant, non-flamboyant. But just the thought of doing it together makes it special. For me anyone, with whom I can do things like these and still have fun, is the most important part of my life, whatever the name of the relationship may be. After all – “what’s in the name?

No comments:

Post a Comment